Thursday, July 5, 2012

homemade pineapple vinegar......at kitchen! kitchen!



This homemade pineapple vinegar's origin is in Puerto Rico. I can't seem to find the
exact recipe for it. However, I remembererd that it has some fresh pineapple parts,
garlic, peppercorns, chili pepper, and bay leaf.
As I was slicing off the skin of the fresh pineapple, there is quite a bit of waste once you start cutting around the area of the fruit's eyes. I am just thinking to myself, this is such a waste and not to be able to do anything with it. I know that a watermelon rind is pickled and jarred. So, remembering a recipe of a homemade vinegar I saw on one of my magazines, part of the ingredients were the pineapple peels to make this vinegar. Well, I wasn't too crazy and sure about including the peels. However, I saved the large pieces of the parts that were removed when I was slicing up those nasty "pineapple eyes" minus the skin part. So, what you need are.....

3 cups of distilled vinegar
Excess parts of a pineapple meat and juice if any
1 head of garlic sliced
1 chili hot pepper (optional)
1 tablespoons of peppercorn
2-3 bay leaves
Boil in a deep pan and simmer for about 15-20 minutes
Let cool and store in a jar
*Add salt only on every serving*
It's great for just about anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment