Thursday, June 14, 2012

bean cake/burger.....at kitchen! kitchen!



Bean Burger Appetizer
I made a small meditterenean salad last night to go with the "panko chicken"(posted previously).
Going into my "pantry" in the garage, yes, a quarter of the space in the garage has been turned into my pantry and storage for some of my kitchen implements. If you asked one of my nieces, it is not a pantry but a mini supermarket. My nieces just love to tease me about it constantly. Back to my mediterranean salad, I have an excellent large can of small white beans....the only can I have in my mini supermarket. So what to do with the leftover since I only used about a cup of the 32 oz. + can of small white beans. So, for lunch, the next day, I decided to make the leftover into bean cakes/burger. I have made this years ago before I even imagined to do a food blog. This is a recipe I saw in one of my zillion food magazines. It is so easy that I don't even need to look for that magazine. It is great as an appetizer or as a side dish served with vinegar/garlic vinaigrette. This is my own version of the original recipe.

What you need.....
1 large can of small white beans ( about 1 lb.& 13 oz. can) This will make about 10-12 small cakes
*Mashed 1/2 of the beans and leave the rest whole*
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup of diced scallions
salt to season
a sprinkling of cayenne pepper (for a bit of "excitement")
3 tablespoons of fine corn meal
2 tablespoon of flour (or chickpea flour)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Mixed all of the above in a large bowl until well incorporated
Gather 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and form into a mini cake (just like you're doing a regular burger) you'll have about 10-12 cakes/burger
Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes
Dridge each cake in a flour/corn meal mixture
Heat a large pan with canola oil - (the oil must really be smoking hot)on a medium high heat. (remember you are not cooking the cakes but browning each side, thus for the high heat).
Slowly drop each cake into the pan without crowding them until each side is golden brown.
Have a ready platter with a paper towel to drain the oil.
Serve and garnish with roughly chopped cilantro

Vinegar/Garlic Vinaigrette:
White wine vinegar
Salt
2 cloves of minced garlic




No comments:

Post a Comment