Monday, January 23, 2012

gravlax....curing the salmon.....at kitchen! kitchen!


Gravlax
If you look up gravlax, you will know that it is Scandinavian in origin.
This was made by fishermen in the middle ages by salting the salmon and lightly
fermented it by burying it in the sand above the high-tide line.
Today, fermentation is no longer used in the process. Instead the salmon 
is cured in a dry marinade of salt, sugar, and, dill for a few days.
Google for the recipe of gravlax.
I would suggest experimenting with it first by doing
 a small piece of fresh salmon fillet.
My first venture into this, the salmon came out too salty. I keep adjusting the salt
and sugar until I perfected it. I still  rely on my taste buds when mixing
the salt and sugar by tasting the mixture to make sure that it is just right.
I keep a big jar of this mixture in a tightly covered glass container.
I cannot tell you how the curing mixture should taste like,
you will have to trust your judgment.
Don't be discourage if the first try is not successful.
Keep trying and the reward is astounding.
This is great as an appetizer, on a crips bread garnished with lemon and capers,
or simply served with a seafood pate and salad.
Check out my previous posting of galette with gravlax and gravlax sandwich
(posted on: Nov. 29, 2010 and Dec. 21, 2010)



No comments:

Post a Comment