Tuesday, November 15, 2011

a tower of chickpea crepes and beef stew.....at kitchen! kitchen!

Chickpea Crepes and Beef Stew With Sour Cream
A Sunday dinner beef stew transformed into another appetizing dish for a Monday dinner. Don't you sometimes find yourself drawing a blank when you think of what to make for dinner? Monday is not my favorite day of the week. It's that first work day, and after a glorious weekend - well, definitely not my fav day. Then there is that leftover from Sunday night that you don't know what to do about. I try to think beforehand what to cook, but sometimes, my mind is still on the rest mode and refuses to cooperate. So, I'm on the bus thinking, "we will just have to finish off the beef stew leftover tonight". Then my mind switches to "I need to think of something to go with one of my thanksgiving side dishes of braised pork and sauteed apples".This thought was still on my mind when an idea lit up. Well, well, well. So the rest mode is now fully awake. I now have a sprint in my steps as I got off the bus and started walking home. 
Got hold of my bag of chickpea flour and started throwing things to do a small tower of crepes and use the leftover beef stew as the filling for the crepes. Brilliant!. This will also serve as a staging for my braised pork and sauteed apples for thanksgiving. Brilliant again!!

Chickpea Crepes: Serves 6 small crepes

1/3 cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp. all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp. salt
1 whole egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbps. of homemade pesto (only if you have it) *Otherwise substitute with finely chopped of 1 tbsp. flat leaf parsley.
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and combine until smooth - add a bit more water if necessary to get the consistency of "heavy cream".
Heat the crepe pan (or non stick pan) and brushed with olive oil.
Ladle about 2 tblsps. of the batter in the middle of the pan, lift the pan and swirl it a little to spread the batter forming a round shape about 3" diameter or so. (it does not have to be a perfect shape) When the edges start to color flip to cook the other side for about half a minute. Do this untill all the batter is done.
Fill the each crepe with any of your leftover dish of meat, chicken, or vegetables. (Shred the meat if the pieces are large - stack up about 3 crepes). Note: It's best if the leftovers have sauce or gravy.

As for my braised pork and sauteed apples for Thanksgiving?....you'll just have to wait ......!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment