Wednesday, October 12, 2011

clear soup... just that! .....at.....kitchen! kitchen!

A clear soup of mini turkey meatballs
Seasoned with slices of ginger, garlic, a few slices of
red pepper for heat, and scallions. Don't forget to
garnish with basil leaves to add freshness to the soup.
I was feeling quite under the weather last Friday with a sore, dry and scratchy throat that seem to signal a flu. I just want to curl up in bed and sleep it off. Not so fast missey! A package of Jennie-O turkey burger patty sat in the refrigerator daring me to do something about it. My son, Jens normally has a package of this brand just in case he has to do the cooking himself, which is usually a turkey cheese burger. Well, I decided to make a clear soup out of just 1 patty
It turned out to be very light, satisfying, and delicious. So I extended this kind of soup for the Saturday and Sunday dinner for myself to indulge in and soothe my sore throat as well. Paired with a toasted buttered baguette is perfection.

Serves 1
4 oz. Jennie-O turkey patty rounded into miniature balls (yields about 8-9 pieces)
1 tbsp. fresh ginger cut thinly (to soothe my scratchy throat)
1 clove garlic cut thinly
1 scallion chopped
1/4 of red chili cut into rounds (add more if you want more heat) or do not add at all.
Basil for garnish
Tamari soy sauce (optional)
In a small pot add 2 cups of water or unsalted chicken stock; add the ginger, garlic, and chili. Let boil and add the turkey meatballs. Scoop out the "scum" on the side; add a pinch of salt and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the scallions and transfer to a bowl - add a teaspoon of Tamari soy sauce and garnish with basil. ( you may season this according to your taste).
This is a make me feel good soup any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment