Friday, January 7, 2011

black rice with grilled chicken & all the trimmings at....kitchen! kitchen!

Black rice with grilled chicken and all the trimmings of sweet yams,
and grilled sweet vegetable spread is light and yet full of flavor.
My ingredients are always what I have on hand - I don't go crazy running to the supermarket to buy the stuff I need. Think of what you can do with what you have and don't be too absorbed with certain ingredients that you don't have.
So....these are what I have lying around waiting for me to notice them....
1 medium size yam (sweet potato) -baked for 20-30 minutes completely wrapped in foil or microwaved for 3-4 minutes completely covered in a very moist paper towel. Let cool and cubed; then brown in the same pan as the chicken with a little olive oil just until it gets some color.
6 pieces of chicken scaloppine (thinly sliced - or pork chops) - seasoned with my "amazing dry rub" and a tablespoon of buttermilk - See recipe on previous posting Oct.2 for "grilled chicken tenders".
1 cup of black rice and 1/4 cup of brown rice combined (see Nov.1 posting of "black rice pilaf" for recipe).
Scallion and cherry tomato for garnish- grill on the same pan as the chicken for a few minutes.
Sweet red pepper spread - this is a regular "resident" in my kitchen - my son just loves this (recipe to follow at a later date), but you can use home made salsa or store bought to put on the black rice as your sauce.
Now, wasn't that easy?! I was hoping this will serve 2- but, alas, my son finished off the whole serving......so be warned ....this recipe is for 1.....you wouldn't want to hear, "I'm still hungy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment