Thursday, October 7, 2010

The challenge of an artichoke....at kitchen! kitchen!

Baby artichoke salad
This is the 2nd time that I have made an artichoke.  I find it not only challenging, but also a lot of work. There is so much waste on this vegetable or is it a fruit?  You really don't know when to stop peeling off those petals and you often wonder how many more do I have to peel to get to the best part.  There is that hairy portion that you have to remove.  I vowed to just buy a jar of artichoke.  But, then I came across a package of baby artichokes.  Baby!  How difficult would that be. Well, I still have to peel several petals/or leaves to get to the best part.  The only difference is that the baby ones do not have the hairy part of the "choke".  So, I dealt with it again, the usual way, peeling off the petals and soaking each one in a bowl of cold lemoned water to keep them from turning grey.

GET CHALLENGED BY....
Heating  2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, stir in the artichokes and simmer until soft.  Don't forget to season with salt and pepper.  Meanwhile, I made a vinaigrette of.......

  • 2 tablespoons of gold balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon of honey

Whisk and add the vinaigrette to the pan of artichoke.  Let simmer for a a minute or 2 and transfer to a serving dish. It was delicious and would make a great company to any dish.
There, I've done my challenge.  Will I do another one?........of course!....

No comments:

Post a Comment