Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A duet of flavors....at kitchen! kitchen!...

Fresh flounder fillets browned in safflower oil.
Indeed a duet of delicate flavors.
Simple, delicious, and satisfying....
at kitchen! kitchen!
I never plan my menu during the week.. it's another one of those nights of whatever is on hand. Well, I have some flounder fillets thawing in a bowl of cold water. (I read somewhere that the best way to thaw a fish is immersing it in a bowl of cold water). It may take 40 minutes to an hour - but it's worth a wait. So, here I am looking at the fillets and thinking... what now, bake? nah! not for a few pieces of small flounder fillets. Then I saw my bottle of safflower oil winking at me. "aha"...!!!

My "aha" moment was putting together.......
4 small pieces of flounder fillets
A plate of leftover QUINOA PILAF
My sister's home pickled sweet baby peppers (not spicy at all) sitting in the refrigerator
A handful of chopped cilantro for garnish
Safflower oil
1-1/2 teaspoon of amazing rub
1 tablespoon of buttermilk
1-1/2 tablespoon of flour

I wiped dry the flounder (after all it's been soaking in cold water). Sprinkled some amazing rub over the fish, added the buttermilk, gently massaged the fillets and added the flour- coating each one and shaking off the excess.
I heated some SAFFLOWER OIL on the pan browning the fillets for a minute and a half on each side.
Then drained them on a paper towel.
NEXT......
Covering with a wet paper towel I heated the quinoa pilaf (this will keep the pilaf moist) in the microwave for exactly 35 seconds (a minute in my microwave is very, very hot)! While the pickled sweet peppers were heated only for 15 seconds.

......then Jens breezes in, "what's for dinner mom"??  

No comments:

Post a Comment